Denim purveyor Self Edge has some of the worst sales, but also some of the best inventory. Which means even though their sales never go deeper than 15% to 17% off, I still always stop by to pick something up.
This weekend, they’re holding their end-of-summer sales event. Take 15% off everything in-store or online with the checkout code SUMMERSEVENTEEN. The sale starts tomorrow, 9am PST on Friday, September 1st. It’ll end at 9am PST on Tuesday, September 5th.
The only exclusions are hems and repairs, as well as magazines and books. Everything else, however, is included.
Some things I particularly like from the store:
- Tons and Tons of Jeans: Self Edge’s specialty. 3sixteen’s straight-leg fit is one of my all-time favorites, and it now comes in a special unsanforized version of their signature denim (I size up one from my regular waist size). Stevenson Overall Co comes with really nice details, such as single needle stitching and handsewn bar tacks. Mine have faded to a nice mid-blue color with a green cast. Flat Head is also known for their heavy contrast fades.
- Flat Head Flannel Shirts: Some of these can get crazy thick, but they’re also super cozy. Look for ones that have been brushed on the inside. I like them with jeans and work boots on easy-going weekends.
- Self Edge x John Lofgren Sneakers: I know, $265 for what essentially looks like Chuck Taylors sounds crazy (and it is). But with the current sale and discount code, you could nab these for about $150. Still pricey, but the made-in-Japan construction and retro-detailing make these feel like a step up from your regular Converse.
- Nine Lives: A new Japanese brand that I like. Mixes classic workwear with a bit of contemporary design, but in a way that still feels rugged. I especially like their leather and sashiko double riders.
- Lady White Co. Tees: Some of the best t-shirts I’ve found anywhere. Made by a former employee at Rising Sun, a premiere denim and workwear store in Los Angeles (and one of the first interviews we did for our online webseries). The ones with chest pockets were inspired by the pocket design you see on Brown’s Beach jackets. Many people go true-to-size for these, but I find they fit really trim, so I went a size up.
- Lots of Cool Jewelry: Including sterling silver pieces made by Native American artists. I wear this bracelet with workwear outfits.
If you’re waiting for a deeper sale here, don’t bother. Unfortunately Self Edge sales never go past 17% off or so, and their inventory is mostly made up of store-exclusives. That said, many of my favorite purchases have come from Self Edge, and saving 15% off is better than paying full price.